News | 'Oh, no, it couldn't be': Bus damages Long Grove's covered bridge a day after reopening
Less than 24 hours after its grand reopening, the Long Grove covered bridge has been damaged again, this time by a school bus.
Politics | Former Illinois Gov. Thompson, who fought corruption, diesFormer Illinois Gov. James R. Thompson, whose prosecutions of public officials -- including a predecessor -- helped catapult him to become the state's longest-serving chief executive, has died. He was 84.
Chicago | Mayor, police clash with protesters over who's to blame for Saturday's meleeMayor Lori Lightfoot on Sunday blamed agitators for sparking violence in Saturday's protests, while some activists said they were left "running for our lives" when officers apparently tried to confine them in a small area.
Illinois | Thompson mourned by suburbanites who knew him wellHere's a sampling of the reaction in the suburbs to news of the death of former Illinois governor James "Big Jim" Thompson.
News | Robert Trump, the president's younger brother, dead at 71President Donald Trump's younger brother, Robert Trump, has died after being hospitalized in New York
Illinois | State reports 1,562 new COVID-19 cases, 18 more deathsState health authorities on Sunday announced 1,562 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Illinois, including 18 additional deaths.
Editorial | Editorial: The legacy of Big Jim ThompsonOn the passing of former Gov. James R. Thompson, this Daily Herald editorial reflects on the unique blend of qualities that made Thompson one of the state's most successful governors.
News | Don Earley, 'Godfather' of West Chicago parks, remembered for life of public serviceDon Earley, affectionately known as The Godfather of the West Chicago Park District, is being remembered as a dedicated public servant and loving family man. He died Thursday at age 89.
News | Firefighter's widow seeks health benefits from Buffalo GroveThe widow of a Buffalo Grove firefighter who died of cancer is seeking health care benefits at the village's expense. Village trustees will be asked to consider the request Monday night.
White Sox | Jim Thompson's biggest move? Keeping the White Sox in ChicagoJim Thompson's most famous move as governor? The night he twisted arms on the floor of the state House of Representatives to keep the White Sox from moving to Tampa.
Columns | ECC professor says race conversations will continue in fallElgin Community College plans to continue its series of conversations about race this fall, helping navigate uncomfortable topics such as talking to friends, neighbors, colleagues and children about race in America.
News | Aurora police investigating death in city's downtownAurora police continue to investigate the death of a man found lying in the road Saturday morning in the city's downtown.
- 1:09 AMUN-backed court to issue verdicts in Lebanon's Hariri case
- 12:54 AM'Are you doing OK?': On the ground with NYC contact tracers
- 12:41 AMVictims tell of trauma, healing in Golden State Killer case
- 12:41 AMGoogle warns Australians could lose free search services
- 12:38 AMJapan stocks fall after economy contracts, other markets up
More Suburban News Find your community
- Des PlainesRosemont scuttles land deal for proposed hotel's parking
- LincolnshireLincolnshire art fest goes on, but with precautions in place
- NewsWoodstock man killed in motorcycle crash
- AuroraMobile test site returning to Aurora
- Lake in the HillsFishing tournament memorializes late outdoorsman and funds restocking program
- Des PlainesMiniature golf event raises funds for Des Plaines food pantry
- ElginElgin police: Man in custody after spitting at cop, but crowd of 10 tried to halt arrest
- MundeleinFremont Township board member dies from scooter crash injuries
- NapervilleNaperville man guilty of driving with amphetamine in system at time of fatal crash
- Rolling MeadowsHoffman Estates man fatally struck by semitrailer on tollway
- ElginElgin hopes to get funding to replace about 350 private lead service lines
- Buffalo GroveDonation renews Buffalo Grove's hopes for shuttered car dealership
- 4:49 PMMusic at Meadowhill brings sounds of summer to the Velodrome Aug. 18 and 25
- 12:24 PMPark Ridge to recognize 100th anniversary of women's right to vote
- 12:23 PM19 events to celebrate the 19th Amendment, honoring 100 years of women's right to vote
- 6:57 PMKane County Health Dept. adds 90 full-time contact tracers
- 6:52 PMElgin Community College students are fired up for success
- 6:36 PMLeague of Women Voters Aurora Area to host voter registration Aug. 15
- 6:25 PMFox Valley Orthopedics welcomes new spine specialist
- 6:16 PMMidwest Shelter for Homeless Veterans gets Operation Helping Heroes donation from COUNTRY Financial
Inside Daily Herald